I've been tagged by Allen Bauer. OK, so it's my turn to make a list of Five Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About Me...
- I love Pascal so much, that I called my son Erik Mark Pascal after it. He was born in 1994, and Delphi was released after he was born. So we named our daughter Natasha Louise Delphine. We only have two kids, but briefly considered Kyli as name for a potential third...
- I started writing articles in 1992 when I was hospital for several weeks/months. I felt like I would die, and when recovered felt the urge to become "immortal". In my mind, the best two ways to become immortal were: having kids (see #1) and writing books.
- I hate coffee, alcohol and smoking (I despise second-hand smoking - I even have a non-smoking sign in Japanese at home). In The Netherlands, a person who doesn't drink alcohol and drives home safely is called "Bob". Coincidence? I think not... ;-)
I do drink lots and lots of coca cola, and have a small collection of coca cola items (other than empty bottles).
- I love e-mail but hate phones. A phone call always comes in when you're right in the middle of something, and then cannot wait. When using e-mail I not only can answer when it's convenient for me, it also means I can use the time to include references and generally give a more thoughtful and informative response. The fact that there's a written copy of the conversation (as opposed to only a vague recollection of what was said) is the main reason why few clients of mine have my phone number in the first place.
- In my spare time, I like to work in our fruit garden, growing strawberries, raspberries, grapes, pears, etc. and since a couple of years we also have banana palm trees and pineapple. These haven't grown any fruits yet, but with the global warming going on, I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before we can eat the first tropical fruit from our own garden (which is based in The Netherlands, by the way).
That's it. I hope there were some new facts in there?
Time to tag others... I wanted to start with Brian Long, but he has no blog yet (time to start one, Mr.Long!). Others who can start consider themselves tagged are - in alphabetical order: Danny Thorpe, Hallvard Vassbotn, Holger Flick, Pawel Glowacki, and Steve Trefethen.